Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Metal Mouth, Tinsel Teeth


The day Frances has dreaded has arrived. She got her braces! It's been a long process. Her mouth is so small and she had to get an expander on the roof of her mouth to actually spread her palate. Today she got 6 braces and wire between them and rings on her lower molars to anchor the braces. The anticipation was much worse than the actual experience - she was so worried that it would hurt. The card that she is holding shows nasty teeth from not brushing your teeth properly ("your braces are like a shelf for food to sit on and ROT your teeth!" says the dentist) and lovely teeth that are brushed properly.

7 comments:

Suz said...

Frances still looks pretty cute and cheerful.

Operationtigerlily said...

Brace faces rule! How much prettier can that smile be?!?! Congrats on the metal.

I got mine off 6 months ago.

4D said...

It is a pain but so worth it in the end.

Metallic marvelous smile!

Keep smilin!

FishermansDaughter said...

My orthodontist tough loved me to brush my teeth with similarly horrifying tales/illustrations and photos of the grim results from dental neglect - to the point where I remain compelled to brush/floss (at least) 3X daily - at age 44!
Frances is adorable - I'm with Lisa M. - Brace faces DO rule!!

Mamacita said...

Oy, I remember it well. I really mourned the loss of Taco Bell for 2 years. That's just hard on a teenager!

Tasha Kent said...

They will be off before she starts dating.. so she'll be just fine. (although I'm sure her momma doesn't need to read this). ;-)

Maia said...

You can tell her for me, I was DYING for braces when I was a kid. My front teeth where SO crooked and "everyone else" had braces. But no go. My Woodstock parents refused. Instead they found me a holistic dentist who told me to "imagine" my teeth growing straight. I said, yeah right! The most embarrassing part was, it worked - and I've had perfect teeth ever since. Whoda thunk? Never got my coveted braces.