Sunday, July 13, 2008

Two Years


On July 8, 2006, less than 12 hours after we had landed in Beijing, we took off with a driver who spoke only Mandarin and vague direction on how to get to New Day Foster Home. Eventually we got there and met a **seemingly** shy, smiling 4 year old girl, who took my hand and led me around her "home." I was no stranger to her. For months I had sent photos and gifts and even spoke with her on the phone several times!!
On July 10, 2006, after a long train ride from Beijing and an overnight "visit" to her home orphanage, Elizabeth Li Xin, entered my hotel room, angry, overwhelmed, & frightened. I knew, even before I met her, that she was going to be a challenging child.... and whew! is she ever!
Elizabeth is an artist. She loves running, riding her bike, swimming, reading, eating, & being out and about. She is also full of fear and anger and has the most intense temper tantrums I've ever witnessed. Her adoption day kicked up her anxiety and she raged about how she needs to go back to live in China; to be with her friends and nannies. She alternately loves us and hates us. Sometimes when I kiss her or hug her unexpectedly, she looks at me like I just gave her a gift. She's still not used to my love.
Elizabeth is my survivor - I know she's going to be ok because she has a strength and will that will take her places.

3 comments:

Juliette said...

Congratulations on those 2 fascinating years!
I think she will be ok and will go to places not only because of her will but also because of your love, because she will get used to it, and it will give her even more strength...

Cavatica said...

"Still not used to my love" ... that breaks my heart. You are truly earning it. She's a wonder.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post to celebrate a wonderful relationship.