Sunday, April 18, 2010

Swamp Critters

For some odd reason, I LOVE swamps. Not muck-through-in-your-wellies swamps but civilized swamps with nice boardwalks or dry walking paths. I ply (lie to) my children by saying "Hey, who wants to go to the park/playground/McDonalds/whatever?" Then we make a slight detour. Lewis and Elly are studying frogs and toads in school. It was my motherly duty to go frog spotting. All the planets must have been aligned because Frances "Nature gives me the creeps," had a birthday party to go to..... I grabbed the opportunity.
"WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE PLAYGROUND?????!!"

It was a warm, beautiful day. Spirits were high.


They played hard.


HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO? ANYONE THERE????????


"Sooooooo, kids, anyone want to go frog hunting?"
"NOOOOOOO, we just want to play!!!!!"
"COME ON, the swamp has a little playground! P*L*E*A*S*E???????"
"OOOOOOOOOOOK"
Once we saw LOTS of frogs, the enthusiasm grew. They were BIG!


And 6 turtles sunning themselves on a log.


We got a little glimpse of a few deer but Elizabeth went charging toward them and scared them off!
Mama was happy!

1 comment:

Suz said...

I like swamps too! They are great places for bird watching! I remember being less than 5 years old, crawling through a hole in a chain-link fence, and walking out along the top of a big concrete pipe into the middle of a swamp, so I could lie on the pipe and watch the swamp activity. It was my favorite "getaway" spot!