Monday, May 4, 2009

Library Time

At my school, teachers who are interested join the kids in a "25 book campaign." The goal is to read 25 books during the school year. I just finished my 25th so I bring you my Top 5 of the Year and the Worst of the Stinkin' Worst. My top 5 are in no particular order.

Obviously I loved White Tiger. It is narrated by a taxi driver in India, who is addressing the Premier of China. He needs to perpare the Premier for a vist to India.


I finished The Help last night and I was crying, which is pretty unusual for me with a book. The young society ladies in 1960s Mississippi and their Black maids star in this gem. One of the society lady secretly begins writing a book about the maids (with their cautious help).


I read A free life several months ago. It's a great, detailed story about a Chinese family trying to make a life for themselves in the US. I was reading reviews of this book and people either love it or hate it. I thought it was very moving.


The little giant of Aberdeen County is the story of Truly, who believes she is too big and ugly for anyone to love. She discovers some magic in an old quilt.


Since I carry books around, people often as "whatcha reading?" This book has gotten the strongest negative reaction - Dinner with a cannibal. It's the history of cannibalism around the world, through the ages ..... some so recent, it's scary. Absolutely fascinating.


Silent tears brought on loud sobs. Woman goes to China, volunteers for a few hours a week at an orphanage and then has to go home and eat bonbons to recuperate or go on luxury getaway weekends, slams orphanage workers (who earn about 5 cents a day) as being uncaring. Go back to your ivory tower. Bleeeeech.


There you have it my friends. Carry on and read something good today.

No comments: