Thursday, August 7, 2008

A frightening day in the country



Sure, there was an Art festival and concerts that were possibilities for entertainment this weekend, but the Lawyer and I were craving some higher culture..... and maybe some fodder for the blog.....
We chose the Sauerkraut Festival in Phelps (creepy boonies), NY.
A cloud of stink greeted us from the NYS Thruway

After arriving at the fairgrounds and parking, we were greeted with our first option for throwing our money away - cabbage bowling! Couldn't all that cabbage have been used to make several pounds of kraut??

The Lawyer then challenged me to get a picture of this old coot's tshirt. The Lawyer forgets that I have learned many tricks from my sister Suzie, like taking a picture of someone with an absolute poker face so they don't even think anything of it.

There was a lot of crap for sale - who doesn't want a pair of handknit slippers?

We went into a building to see more "arts and crafts" when we were greeted by a horrific stench. Frances slapped her hand over her mouth and nose and ran out. I said "Holy crap, what is that smell??" As we walked farther in, I thought there must have been some bathroom "problem." Then I came to 2 tables of food - it was the sauerkraut cooking contest!! I love sauerkraut but this smell was B*A*D N*A*S*T*Y. We exited quickly, hence no photo evidence.
Then came the highlight of the "festival!" SAUERKRAUT IDOL!! I kid you not. Contestants from the ages of 4 ("You are my sunshine") to adults got on the stage to perform horrid renditions of Hendrix, Elvis, and various country people who I do not know. I believe this was the Elvis girl:

The Lawyer was LOVING IT! Me and Lew kept asking if it was time to go yet.

Frances asked me why so many of the Carnie people didn't have teeth.......I had no good answer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am taking you with me the next time my husband drags me to some lame-o country fair. I am sick of staring at overweight cows and fried dough

Juliette said...

Man, that is brutal!
I would have been scared and bored too.

Anonymous said...

Yep, you still look like my mom, how did that happen?? :)

Suz said...

City Girl! Go out and rent the film, "2000 Maniacs," try for the original version. I was very proud of your stalk photography efforts!

Suz said...

P.S. - I CAN'T BELIEVE you didn't invite me to come!

Cavatica said...

Sounds AWESOME! Sauerkraut, crazy slippers, toothless people. Wow. What's next on your agenda?