Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day at the Beach

Even though we live close to Lake Ontario, we rarely go to the water because the beaches are so nasty and there are often advisories to stay out of the water. Yesterday we ventured to Sodus Point, about 40 miles to the East of us. I hadn't been there in more than 20 years. It was beautiful! The sand was clean and soft and the water looked and smelled ok! We stayed for a few hours. The kids waded, dug in the sand, and found tons of interesting rocks - I never saw so many perfectly round and flat rocks.
Elizabeth was the first to go down to the water. She LOVES looking for shells and rocks.

Lewis loves waves and spent a lot of time jumping over the waves and laughing hysterically.

I started taking the rocks and building little sculptures, which encouraged everyone to find me more material!

I couldn't believe how many times Lewis ran back and forth from the water to our blanket, bringing me "another cool one."


We walked out to the lighthouse, which didn't impress anyone! The pier was covered with gull poo and there was no railing. Frances said it made her feel like a wave was "going to come up, knock me into the water, carry me away and kill me." Think the girl has a little anxiety???

On the way back from the pier, Elly found some shells and foraged for a "good one."

She sat on the blanket sorting her shells and rocks while everyone else did some wave jumping.

There were 2 people sitting near us who were taking photos the whole time we were there. They were having so much fun posing for each other and did some pictures together. I couldn't resist taking photos of them taking photos





When we got home, it was almost time for dinner. Everyone was asleep by 8:30 and I probably only lasted an hour more! The kids are already asking me when we can go again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely.
And that is one brave woman.